Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A River Runs Through It, Volunteering, and the Headstone


A river runs through my kitchen! Well, it did. I had the valve replaced in the wall behind my washer. Something apparently was not right in the fitting and when I started a load of laundry the other day, a river ran through my kitchen. The laundry room is upstairs. So, the very nice man who had replaced the valve came back quickly and got it fixed. Unfortunately, I still have an ugly place in my kitchen ceiling. He says someone will come soon and repair it. Oh, the joys of homeownership! Yes, it really is good to know if it gets messed up, it's mine.


We are having a contractor finish off the one unfinished bedroom in the basement. He started today. Caroline will soon have a bedroom and we can move her bed out of the downstairs family/game room!


I volunteered yesterday at Monroe's school Book Fair. It was a great way to knock out 3 hours of my 12 hour parent volunteer commitment. It was nice to get to know other mom's. I am trying to be normal, but still not feeling it. I guess that is partly due to knowing that I'm missing McKenzie and partly due to being in a new school. It was a more comfortable feeling than the first time I showed up with McKenzie sleeping in her stroller at Roan Forest to shelve books. Poor sweet Deb R. had to tell me the school didn't allow younger siblings to come along during volunteer time. I felt bad for her, but felt bad for me, too, because I would not be able to help out at the school with McKenzie. I guess that is at least a small benefit to McKenzie living in Heaven. Now I'm free to do more things for my other dear children.


We had notice recently that McKenzie's permanent headstone is in place. Both grandmothers, her grandfather, and a close friend of mine have all been out to see it. It is really pretty, but a difficult reminder of the finality of her departure. If I can figure out how to add a picture to this blog, I will show it to you all.


Well, I must get going. We are out of dogfood, I mean completely! So I need to make it to the store and then by Monroe's school for a "parent and grandparent" luncheon. Y'all have a great day. With Love, Jeri

3 comments:

  1. McKenzie's headstone looks beautiful and the pretty pink flowers make it look so happy...just like she was every time I saw her.
    Just like a spunky pink rose! As far as trying to feel normal, Jeri, I'm sorry to tell you...you aren't the "norm". Okay, you're normal, but not the norm. You have been through so much more than so many of us. Just think of it as becoming slightly "abnormal", to be placed in a position to help and encourage those, who in the future, may have to endure such trials. You are such a blessing! It sounds like you are jumping right in to things up at the school...what a great mommy you are! It is sure to help keep your mind busy. I love you!
    By the way, where is McKenzie's headstone located? oxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog and will try to keep up with it! Thanks for sharing about your "real" life. I saw you posted on someone else's FB about needing God to cut you a break -- things being tough -- will be praying for you. I know when we moved here I got lost almost every day. I was and am still so sick of that! I know my part of town very well now but not some of the others. I hate trying to find people's houses when it's dark outside. Don't know if that's been part of your experience but it sure is a bummer, being lost so often. Love you, sistah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you posted a link to your blog from McKenzie's Caring Bridge site! Each time I hear "Cinderella" by Steven Curtis Chapman I am reminded of the beautiful celebration of her life that your family shared with us at CBC.
    It sounds like the kids have gotten into the swing of things in Utah. I do hope that Courtney's foot heals quickly! And the skiing...ahh...bet that was fun today.
    I'm also glad to hear that you have been able to start volunteering at the schools already. I know that the librarian appreciates the 3 hours you volunteered at the book fair - that's always a hectic week! Ugh, I always hated having to turn away volunteers in the library when they had a little one in tow :-( The school I've been at for the last few years is much smaller and as such can be a bit more lax with that...phew, otherwise I'd be missing out on some great volunteers! I just put out some crayons & paper for the little ones :-)
    Our small group continues to pray for your family! God bless you! - Deb Randolph

    ReplyDelete